South African Business News
South African Business News
- The day that was: Why did 11 die at Impala mine? Police seize R16m of marijuanaon 28th November 2023 at 8:03 pm
The Eyewitness News bulletin with Jane Dutton.
- Part of stay of prosecution application in 'Amigos' case to be held in-cameraon 28th November 2023 at 7:41 pm
Uruguayan businessmen Gaston Savoi and Fernando Praderi are currently facing graft charges related to the supply of water purification plants and oxygen self-generating units for the KwaZulu-Natal and Northern Cape Departments of Health.
- WC govt: No money for June & Sep floods from National Disaster Management Centreon 28th November 2023 at 7:27 pm
This is despite the floods being declared national disasters.
- Kwezanamuhla: Kufe 11 kuphahlazeka ikheshi eIMPLATS, kuthungathwa ababulali eKZNon 28th November 2023 at 7:25 pm
Izindaba ze Eyewitness News no Kwazi Kwaza.
- SA can't afford litigation if NHI signed into law in current form - Business SAon 28th November 2023 at 7:10 pm
Last week, the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) select committee on health and social services took a decision to adopt the bill without any changes.
- Patel remains hopeful SA will continue to benefit from AGOAon 28th November 2023 at 6:54 pm
He told Parliament while government would like to see changes made to AGOA's graduation policy - it did not want this to delay a decision by the US government to extend the preferential arrangement with African countries for another ten years.
- CT municipal officials praised for rescuing baby from house fireon 28th November 2023 at 6:36 pm
Last week, eight members from the Pinelands sewer depot, attached to the City of Cape Town's Water and Sanitation Department rescued six people, including a baby, from a house fire in Heideveld.
- Impala mine deaths bring total mining accident fatalities for 2023 to 52on 28th November 2023 at 6:02 pm
On Monday, a cage carrying 86 mineworkers suffered a mechanical fault in its conveyance system, resulting in it plunging to the bottom of the shaft. Eleven miners were killed.
- Ramaphosa asks African countries to act against gender pay gaps with urgencyon 28th November 2023 at 5:53 pm
According to data released by the World Economic Forum South African women earn between 23 and 35% less than men for the same job.
- After being robbed, Chikunga urges motorists to avoid stopping on side of roadon 28th November 2023 at 5:53 pm
Transport Minister Sindisiwe Chikunga said that when in trouble, road users should rather drive to the nearest petrol station or until they come across law enforcement authorities.
- SAFTU to protest in Joburg in solidarity with people of Palestineon 28th November 2023 at 5:46 pm
The union will demonstrate in Johannesburg on Wednesday alongside trade union COSATU (Congress of South African Trade Unions), humanitarian group BDS SA and other political parties.
- Implats: Safety measures were not '100% foolproof' to prevent miner deathson 28th November 2023 at 5:38 pm
A cage carrying 86 workers dropped to the bottom of the shaft, instantly killing 11 and injuring 75 others.
- Eskom to implement stage 6 power cuts during evenings until Saturdayon 28th November 2023 at 4:49 pm
The ailing utility says that for the next four days, stage 4 load shedding will continue to be implemented until 8PM in evening, thereafter it's stage 6 until 5AM in morning.
- Fourth suspect in Loyiso Nkohla murder case appearing in transit in EC courton 28th November 2023 at 4:31 pm
The 41-year-old man was arrested in Cofimvaba in the Eastern Cape on Monday, while he was appearing in court for an unrelated matter.
- Nzimande to lay criminal complaint against Mdwaba over corruption allegationson 28th November 2023 at 4:23 pm
Mdwaba, who owns investment firm Thuja Holdings, has accused three Cabinet ministers and ANC secretary-general, Fikile Mbalula, of soliciting a R500 million bribe from him linked to an agreement between his company and the UIF.
- Mchunu defends establishment of a new SOE under DWS, says it won't be corrupton 28th November 2023 at 4:01 pm
Water and Sanitation Minister Senzo Mchunu said the establishment of the South African National Water Resources Infrastructure Agency through the National Water Resources Infrastructure Agency Bill, also doesn't mean it's doomed to be another corrupt, underperforming SOE.
- 'Darkest day ever': 11 miners die in Rustenburg mineon 28th November 2023 at 3:42 pm
Eleven miners died at the Impala Platinum mine in Rustenburg. The mineworkers were trapped underground on Monday afternoon following what Implats has described as 'a serious safety incident' at its 11 Shaft operation.
- Mineral Resources Dept launches probe into mine deaths at Implats mineon 28th November 2023 at 3:30 pm
Speaking at a media briefing in Rustenburg on Tuesday afternoon, Mineral Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe announced that a commission of inquiry into the accident would be established.
- NPA says it's taking an aggressive approach to GBV caseson 28th November 2023 at 2:58 pm
Phindi Mjonondwane said that the NPA played an important role in terms of prosecuting GBV cases and being the voice of vulnerable groups.
- Ramaphosa: Young boys must be taught that women are not objectson 28th November 2023 at 2:49 pm
As the country marks 16 days of activism against gender-based violence, President Cyril Ramaphosa has expressed government's commitment to rooting out patriarchy.
- Police hunting suspects linked to murders of 4 family members on KZN South Coaston 28th November 2023 at 2:21 pm
Police said a manhunt is still underway after four members of the Ngidi family were injured by unknown gunmen in Mfume, on the KZN south coast on Monday.
- Waiting for dignity: Disabled workers starving for meds they need to surviveon 28th November 2023 at 2:16 pm
Dr Virginia Wilson contacted Eyewitness News after months of battling the Compensation Fund when she found out her patients weren't receiving their much-needed medication.
- Accused in Senzo Meyiwa murder trial under tighter restraint after court scuffleon 28th November 2023 at 2:13 pm
A physical fight broke out on Monday over the casual way that the accused were seated during the tea adjournment.
- State may add more charges against man accused of killing Kirsten Kluytson 28th November 2023 at 1:29 pm
Bafana Makhungela, a 21-year-old Varsity College student, was arrested for the crime on Sunday and made his first appearance in the Alexandra Regional Court on Tuesday when the case was postponed to next week for him to secure legal representation.
- State opposed to granting man accused of Joburg teacher murder bailon 28th November 2023 at 1:02 pm
Bafana Makhunela, a 21-year-old student, was arrested on Sunday afternoon in connection with Kirsten Kluyts's murder and made a brief court appearance on Tuesday.
- WC traffic cops seize R16m worth of marijuana after stopping truck on N1on 28th November 2023 at 12:56 pm
On Saturday, a truck was pulled over during a routine stop between Laingsburg and Leeu-Gamka where officers found 40 bags of compressed cannabis while inspecting its two trailers.
- Loyiso Nkohla murder: Hawks detectives nab fourth suspecton 28th November 2023 at 10:42 am
The 41-year-old was apprehended in Eastern Cape by Hawks detectives when he appeared in court, in connection with an unrelated matter.
- Master's Office not on its knees, but more needs to be done: Justice Ministryon 28th November 2023 at 10:26 am
The Master's Office has come under fire recently for its numerous service delivery issues, including its long queues, system problems, documents going missing, poor infrastructure and load shedding - among others.
- Spike in Table Mountain attacks frustrates users including hikers, cyclistson 28th November 2023 at 9:27 am
The spate of robberies on Table Mountain has become a cause for concern ahead of the busy festive season.
- 11 mineworkers die in 'serious safety incident', confirms Impala Platinumon 28th November 2023 at 8:46 am
The deadly incident involved a winder rope that the company has further explained 'connects the personnel conveyance which hoists employees up and down the shaft'.
- Health NGOs admitted as friends of court in cystic fibrosis drugs battle in SAon 28th November 2023 at 8:35 am
US pharmaceutical company Vertex patented the 'miracle' cystic fibrosis treatment in South Africa despite it not being sold in the country, resulting in it being unable to be sold by anyone else, and leaving it out of reach for patients.
- Senzo Meyiwa murder trial: Testimony of lead investigator resumeson 28th November 2023 at 7:56 am
Brigadier Bongani Gininda started giving testimony on Monday, where he began detailing how one of the five accused made admissions about his involvement in Meyiwa's murder.
- Joburg CBD fire inquiry unaware of Home Affairs' bid to deport witnesseson 28th November 2023 at 7:31 am
At least 32 undocumented migrants who stayed in the building are detained at the Lindela Repatriation Centre, pending the outcome of a legal battle to stop them from being deported.
- NSFAS warns students applying for 2024 funding to be wary of bogus websiteson 28th November 2023 at 7:13 am
The funding scheme says there is an app falsely operating under its name, asking students to submit their personal information, that its teams are working hard to take down.
- The day that was: Fistfight at Meyiwa trial, police linked to human traffickingon 27th November 2023 at 8:04 pm
The Eyewitness News bulletin with Jane Dutton.
- Kwezanamuhla: Kuqhume iqupha enkantolo kwelikaMeyiwa, lisazoshisa kakhulu ezwenion 27th November 2023 at 7:32 pm
Izindaba ze Eyewitness News no Kwazi Kwaza.
- Legal team criticises COJ over Marshalltown fire survivors' living conditionson 27th November 2023 at 6:59 pm
The High Court in Johannesburg has given the municipality three months to improve the living conditions of the Marshalltown fire victims.
- Friend of murdered KZN pastor Liezel de Jager hopes to see justice servedon 27th November 2023 at 6:09 pm
This after the deceased's husband, Werner de Jager, appeared before the Amanzimtoti Branch Court for the murder on Monday.
- Meyiwa trial: Judge draws parallels between courtroom scuffle & conduct of MPson 27th November 2023 at 5:49 pm
A scuffle broke out when a warder flagged the informal manner in which the accused were seated during the tea adjournment.
- GBV must be a focus 365 days of the year - Ubuntu Rural Women and Youth Movementon 27th November 2023 at 5:37 pm
The Ubuntu Rural Women and Youth Movement's Wendy Pekeur said that the organisation's GBV champions were active on the ground within communities.
- Deporting Marshalltown fire survivors not in interest of justice, says lawyeron 27th November 2023 at 5:23 pm
Law firm, Norton Rose Fullbright, is challenging the Home Affairs Department's application to have 32 of the survivors deported.
- Eskom 'technically has gone to stage 8 a few times', claims energy experton 27th November 2023 at 5:14 pm
On Sunday, Electricity Minister Kgosientsho Ramokgopa was at pains to stress that the power utility had not implemented stage 8 load shedding and that the power cuts had only reached stage 6.
- COCT warns tourism jobs may at risk if crime at tourist attractions not tackledon 27th November 2023 at 4:47 pm
This follows the muggings of three trail runners during the RMB Ultra-trail Cape Town 160km race on Table Mountain over the weekend.
- NSFAS provisionally approves 76,000 applications for 2024on 27th November 2023 at 4:38 pm
Despite challenges with the online system in recent years, during the first few days of applications, NSFAS said that this year, things were going well.
- CPUT stabbing: Accused referred for mental evaluationon 27th November 2023 at 4:36 pm
Video footage of the brutal stabbing at a student residence went viral on social media earlier in November.
- WC expects busy fire season and is ready for it, says MEC Bredellon 27th November 2023 at 4:06 pm
Local Government MEC Anton Bredell said that the provincial government had spent R16 million on firefighter training and new firefighting equipment.
- CT police nab 2 suspects for possession of abalone worth nearly R3mon 27th November 2023 at 3:52 pm
The two separate busts were made on the N2 freeway.
- Man accused of killing KZN pastor Liezel de Jager revealed as her husbandon 27th November 2023 at 3:40 pm
Werner de Jager briefly appeared in court on Monday. He is charged with the 2021 murder which took place in Amanzimtoti, south of Durban.
- Cape Town Tourism worried robberies on Table Mountain will dent city's imageon 27th November 2023 at 3:10 pm
Over the weekend, three athletes were mugged during the RMB Ultra-trail Cape Town's 160km race. The incident follows the attack on the British trail runner, Tom Evans, who was also a favourite to win the race.
- Eskom ramps up power cuts to stage 4 until Saturdayon 27th November 2023 at 2:51 pm
The utility said that there had been an increase in electricity demand which could not be met due to insufficient generating capacity.